Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Woodline Golden Brown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:47 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Hi All--
I wanted to introduce myself--I worked out of Oakland, CA, for many years with my own company, but have mostly been working for others the last three years. Relocation, the economy, and difficulties with the new advertising era have made for a changed game.

Bona had Woodline stains for many years, and then they discontinued them. Most of the Woodline colors were duplicates of their Duraseal counterparts--they even called them "DS" stains. But the Woodline Golden Brown was a color of its own--it had more red than Duraseal's version.

It was a popular color, both on its own and for blends. Dozens of my customers picked some variation of it, and other contractors used it, too. For a while I had stored gallons that I used, but eventually the well ran dry.

I have talked to tech support at Bona periodically, asking them if they had heard of anyone's innovation in matching this color. They've never gotten any tips, and on my last call, the Bona rep was not familiar with the product at all--it's become ancient history.

I have an informal business partner in another county, with his own company, and he's asked around, too, with no results. It seems I read on a Bona website that Golden was one color they were not able to re-format, but I can't find that page. At any rate, it's still a big hole in my stain-matching technique, and I'd appreciate hearing how others might have dealt with this.
Farrell

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Woodline Golden Brown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:37 am 
Prized Contributor

Dura seals golden brown with a little red mahogany/ cherry mixed in. Otherwise look into the nano stains from rustolum they are pretty nice!

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Woodline Golden Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:03 am 
Worthy Contributor

Quote:
Otherwise look into the nano stains from rustolum they are pretty nice!

Thanks, Kevin, I'll do that. I used Varathane water-based finishes for years, along with Bona, when they used to sell them at the local flooring distributor. Rustoleum is the parent company for Varathane. So I trust their products.

Never got the look I was after with any of the mahogany shades, as I recall. Especially not the full-strength color of the Woodline. But I'll give it another try when I do some new samples.

Profile E-mail