Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where to start in multiple room job
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:16 am 
New User

Hello, I'm sure this is a fairly common question, but I was hoping for suggestions on where to start flooring. I"m installing 3/4" solid bamboo nail down tongue and groove flooring over top of OSB. I'm attaching a cruedly drawn sketch of my kitchen, dining room, bedroom hallway and utility room, all of which will be one continuous flooring. The bedrooms and bathroom off of the hallway will stay carpeted. I'm not very good at embedding images, so here is a link to mine:

https://ibb.co/dQ3yqF9

Any suggestions would be welcome. I've read a fair bit on this topic and have a couple ideas, but I was hoping for some good advice before starting. And please let me know if you put the floor down under the cabinets. There seems to a be a great deal of disagreement over that, but I'm interested in knowing what people did and if they're happy the install.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Where to start in multiple room job
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:33 pm 
Prized Contributor

If you start parallel to the outside wall, not necessarily the sliding glass door, but the wall next to it you ought to be parallel to the inside wall, too. Running the long direction with a single plank frame around the fireplace would be the way I would plan. Use a spline when you change direction as you go into the kitchen so you can "back lay" and keep two butt-jointed rows in alignment. You could rip a plank to make a narrow frame at the fireplace then use the leftover at the doorway to the utility room. Ease the edge of the flooring next to the carpet.
Pre-finished flooring is easier to install in kitchens since there are toe kicks that would need to be sanded with special equipment, or scraped before hand sanding for the finish. Glue the rows under the toe kicks where you can not nail

I recommend installing the cabinets first since there will always be a chance of water damage under cabinets with flooring underneath in a kitchen. Under the dishwasher allow the last row of flooring to extend into the dishwasher cabinet then run just two boards on both sides under the cabinet to the wall so it can slide into position. No need to fill the entire cabinet. Going past the toe kick will allow the dishwasher cover plate to sit on top of the flooring. You could just cover the OSB with waterproof Kraft paper so it could be cleaned more easily when you ever change appliances, or thick plastic sheet.
If you install flooring before the cabinets you will have some funny looking short pieces coming out from under them unless you plan ahead by making a tape layout on the floor before you install each row so the floor looks "good" without pieces shorter than 8 inches..

Profile E-mail