Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where to for advice re very large inlay
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:18 am 
New User

Gidday guys,

Im looking at quoting a job which includes a 30 sqm circle inlay set into a polished concrete slab. Where are the best places for me to get advice regarding this sort of job. It is quite specialized and Im not sure where to turn. I've arranged the CNC machining, and my basic methodology however I still need someone to bounce ideas off. My problem is, as it is a commercial project I don't really want to lay it all out on a public forum

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Where to for advice re very large inlay
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

30 sqm. Let' see that's about 100 square feet? No, more than that? 323 square feet. The largest one I ever did was about 150 square feet. It was set into a stone entry way. Most important part on that job was prep. I had one side higher than the other to work with. I believe I had to bring one side up with patch, add a few layers of plywood, then add a prefinished 5/8" bamboo that eventually sat flush with everything.

Oh, polished concrete? Need some more details on that.

Commercial? Tell everyone to get the hell outta the way...or walk. It ain't worth it if you care about your work and sanity. But...maybe things are different in Oz?

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Where to for advice re very large inlay
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:09 pm 
New User

Thanks Ken,

The polished concrete refers to the majority of the floor. The inlay is a circular component within the polished concrete area, which is within a new public building.

Your right right prep is everything, I get to take my laser level to the job next week to check the height of the concrete within the work area.

I am looking to set down some vapour seal and barrier, then a ply substrate to level the area to the height i need. I will be making the inlay segments off site and fixing them to a 7mm masonite brace board backing, these pieces will then be glued in place.

Thats the basic theory anyway

Cheers