Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tread nosing over hang
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:55 am 
Newbie Contributor

First, thanks for everyones input so far on the stair project I have been tackling.

I am in the process of installing the risers and fitting the treads. After removing the bull nose from the existing stairs the measured tread length is 8" from the riser on one set of stairs and the other set is 9 1/2".

The original steps had a 10" tread length (bull nose to bull nose) on one set of stairs and 11 1/2" on the other, making the bull nose 2" over hang. Thes stairs were carpeted.

When I dry fit the new solid hardwood stairs I am reluctant to nail them down yet, as I am cautious especially seeing that much of an over hang.

Obviously, that much of overhang does not change the overall tread length, as that is dictated by the origianl stringer tread length. There are reasons why the first set of stairs were 8", I assumed that anything made longer than that would have extended the stairs into my familyroom quite a bit.

Sorry for being long winded, just wanted to add the history. Before I proceed, I would like some input as to suggestions on the amount of overhang of the tread width for my lengths. I want to be able to walk up and down the steps without any issues with any toes hitting the risers, or even slipping coming down the steps.

BTW - I am not the original owner of the house.

Thanks,

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:18 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

If the "run" of the treads is off, then that needs to be corrected if possible. The standard overhang for treads and rabbetted nosings is 1&1/4"from the face of the riser. Some factory nosings will be less, at 1". This amount of overhang, or reveal, will not pose a trip hazard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:47 pm 
Valued Contributor

It would be best to refer to the IRC for overhang dimensions. That way you won't get burned if you go to sell the house. I have a copy of the IRC for stairs somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:13 am 
Prized Contributor

IRC Stair Code 2003 http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2003%20Sta ... SCREEN.pdf

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:54 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Great find Jerry. I'm saving this. To answer previous question, minimum and maximum tread overhang is 3/4" and 1&1/4".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:45 am 
Prized Contributor

I agree, anyone who does stair work ought to put that in their favorites. Inspectors around here are clamping down on stairs, especially having a continuous handrail on at least one side.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:51 am 
Prized Contributor

A 2" overhang is also dangerous. Solid treads are normally glued up boards that look like a solid piece of wood 12" wide. Overhang too much and that glued board can crack or break off.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:20 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for the advise, I proceeded to trim down the tread size to 1 1/2". I am very pleased with the outcome.

Thanks,

Mike