Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Top Nail Oak Floor Project
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:56 pm 
New User

I'm about to do my livingroom (250 sq ft) with white oak top nail. I've been doing a lot of research about what nailer to use to do the top nail with. I know about the specialty tools like Cavanaugh and HighPro HP-50 nailer. The cleats that the Hp50 shoots seem like bullet proof fasteners.

Doing further research I've found some pros using finish nail guns like this
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdcSpU6rOGK/
This appears to be a makita 15ga finish nailer.

My question is if you can load flooring cleats into any of this 15/16 ga finish nailers? Looking at the nails I'm pulling out of the old top nail floor they are just 15/16 ga regular finish nails with small heads.

Any advise about would be helpful. There's relatively little about top nail on the internet and yes, I've looked everywhere including old posts from here.

Thanks guys ( and yes I'm a newb here, obviously haha)

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Top Nail Oak Floor Project
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

The old nails that hold 5/16th inch flooring are floor brads. 16 ga. diamond pointed brads that hold differently than any pneumatic driven nails with chisel point tips.
The diamond point brads spread the grain, which will split the flooring if it is not tightly laid. This helps with butt-joints where the ends of the flooring may not be exactly the same width and also helps the boards fit tighter together. This creates a pressure set as rows of nails are every 6-8 inches apart. This is why removing a single strip between rows is difficult to get another strip back into place.
The pneumatic fasteners were called experimental for a while until the fasteners proved themselves. They have coating that acts like a glue when driven. The Cavenaugh set the nails more uniformly, but a nail set used when sanding the floor will work to make a spot for wood filler if the nails are not set deep enough.
It always took more labor to install 5/16" flooring, but special materials and expertise made a long lasting floor efficiently.

Profile E-mail