Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Short boards?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:58 pm 
New User

I've been reading and learning a lot on the forum. Thanks
What is the usual ratio of short lengths to longer boards. I purchase some 3/4 Mohawk Hickory in 5 inch width, had it stored in a spare bedroom for a few month while fixing up the walls and windows. Was planning to install it this weekend, opened five boxes trying to figure out the layout and color, 25% of the boards were about 12 inches, another 25% were 18-24 inches. Only five boards out of five boxes were close to 60 inches or better. What's the normal ratio?

I took it back and Lowe's refunded my money. Though they are going to make a call and see about getting more stock with longer boards. After reading about the issues with Hickory though I'm tempted to look at other options. Thing is, my wife really loves the look of hickory. :)

It's and older home that I've been slowly renovating. I'm going to be putting the new hardwood flooring over the old 3/4 Oak, which is over 1x6 on top of real 2X8's on 16 inch centers. This will help it match the new tile in the kitchen/dining room. I'll be doing the install, no point in changing things up now since I've done ALL the work on the remodel. I'm in Central California, wintertime is the most humid, summers pretty dry. I welcome your insights and suggestions.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Short boards?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:15 am 
Prized Contributor

I would not get hickory unless I had HVAC and a decent humidifier to keep it stable. I like the look as well.

On the shorts....ya just can't tell anymore what your going to get till you open the box. Got probably ten boxes of shorts here in this Mullican 1600ft shipment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13772863@N08/5483879152/

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 am 
New User

So do you just eat the cost on the shorts? Seems like I'd have at least 20% waste with all the shorts? I'm doing a living room, 18X14, Br, 11X12 connected to a 9 foot hallway so there would be a 21 foot run. Though the house is sealed much better since there's now insulation in all the walls and all the holes/gaps have been sealed. Even though the days can be 100 degrees in the summer it cools at night so we tend to use nature's cooling overnight. So we'll always have fluctuations in humidity.

Any suggestions on wood types? Maple? Bamboo? I'd prefer 3/4 bot could do an engineered floor and add some height to match the tile in the adjoining rooms.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:03 pm 
Prized Contributor

Man that's sad 10 ctns? really? Have you let the seller know? Those ctns of straight shorts should only go in cabin / seconds imho.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:42 pm 
Prized Contributor

KevinD wrote:
Man that's sad 10 ctns? really? Have you let the seller know? Those ctns of straight shorts should only go in cabin / seconds imho.

OK, maybe I exaggerated by a couple cartons. :mrgreen: I'll double check tomorrow. Still , like advanced says, they should never do that krap. I'll never install Mullican again I hope. Luckily these people have deep pockets. Maybe they will try and send those back to the INTERNET ETAILER IN SD CA. HA HA Good luck with that.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 am 
New User

What about engineered hickory? I've been seeing some that can be put over radiant so it sounds like it would be stable enough.

Profile E-mail