Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oil on new floors
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:40 pm 
New User

Hi All,

I am a bit confused on something when it come to some pre-finished oiled engineered hardwoods I just installed. They say to oil them after install, but any particular kind? I was going to use Osmo PolyX-Oil Matte on my stairs (unfinished), can I use it for the floor over an existing oil finish? Or is this product only for new unfinished floors?

I really want to oil now since there is no furniture. but putting on the wrong kind would be a disaster.

Thanks!

https://www.flooranddecor.com/available ... 06262.html

https://osmocolorusa.com/product/polyx-oil-high-solid/

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Oil on new floors
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 5:13 pm 
Prized Contributor

Oiling would seal any expose wood fibers. The manufacturer uses the optimum conditions to finish the flooring with oil at the factory, but handling may expose some fibers that are not sealed.
I use DuraSeal penetrating stain and finish for a second coat when finishing with oil. You only want to apply a thin coat when oiling because you need to remove any excess oil that can become sticky if it doesn't dry and harden right away. Another coat of oil will make the floor a little shinier. Wipe the floor with dry towels, soon after you just wet the floor with a thin coat. A buffer with a couple of white buffing pads can make it a lot easier, otherwise it takes good knee pads.
I would wait for at least a couple of weeks so you know where the traffic pattern is and go around your furniture or rugs, then.
You do not want to leave a thick coat. Just try it so you have a chance to practice.
There must be a recommended oil for your floor.

Profile E-mail