Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How should I install a strandwoven bamboo floor? Nail/Float?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:43 am 
Newbie Contributor

I'm a new homeowner, totally inexperienced, and simply due to budget constraints I want to learn how to install my own floor. It's a fairly large project - about 1500 sq/ft - and I'm considering a solid strandwoven bamboo that's currently on sale. It's on the 2nd floor of a split-level house, so it'll be over plywood subfloors.

I'm really struggling to figure out what method I should use to install it. Initially I thought that nails would be the best option, but I keep hearing horror stories about how damned hard this stuff is and how difficult it is to get a proper nail or staple through it. I'm also concerned that due to my inexperience I'm going to nail it wrong or something and then be totally screwed. (Or nailed, as the case may be...)

I then considered floating it (since you can float anything, right? :roll:) - but reading this site has made me really think twice about that, since it seems like there's a chance of the floor failing spectacularly down the road. I'm kinda feeling stuck. If I were to float it, what kind of underlayment would I want - something like a cork, I assume?

Help. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: How should I install a strandwoven bamboo floor? Nail/Float?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:58 pm 
Prized Contributor

Quote:
I then considered floating it (since you can float anything, right? )

NO! Unless it's engineered. USFLoors has a engineered stranded. I think so does ifloor.com now. Plus they will be having a (blank)____ stranded soon I think. ha ha almost said it.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:38 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Yeah, I was kidding about being able to float anything; I recognize that it's far from ideal. Are you saying I should nail it or glue it then? Nailing seems like a pain with strand, and everything I read says that gluing should be done by a professional - so is this type of floor just trouble for a beginner?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:38 pm 
Prized Contributor

You will have a nightmare trying to nail it. Believe me, it's too hard.
Unless its a "click product", gluedown only.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:59 am 
Newbie Contributor

Man, glue freaks me out. I'm just totally inexperienced and gluing down a 6" pre-finished board sounds like a nightmare. With the potential for mess and the damage that could be caused by a huge mess... *sigh*

Actually, I just looked it up and apparently the floor is designed to be floated, even though it's a solid 0.55" board.

What's the best kind of underlayment - should I go ahead and use cork? Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:38 am 
Prized Contributor

Quote:
Actually, I just looked it up and apparently the floor is designed to be floated, even though it's a solid 0.55" board.

Really? :? What manufacture is that?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:21 am 
Prized Contributor

Anogar wrote:

Good luck with that!

There is too much shrink and swell to stay together.

I too would like to know this manufacturer, that thinks it is losing market share, and markets something known to fail, to make a buck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:45 am 
Prized Contributor

If the bamboo you are contemplating is a standard toungue and groove product, I would certainly advise against trying to float it.
As others here have suggested, this is NOT gonna work.
We tried it once, in very stable conditions; then client went on vacation for two weeks, turned down the climate controls to "stand-by" settings and returned to an unsalvagable floor.
Although it wasn't our fault, we stepped up and replaced the floor for her, along with some help from the manufacturer.
Of course, we were dealing with one of the most reputable manufacturers out there; had it been a box store purchase, or off brand product our client would have been on the hook to the tune of about 10 g's.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:08 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Here's what it seems to boil down to - I have a pretty small budget, and it just doesn't include installation. I'm going to need to do it myself.

As people in this thread have mentioned, attempting to nail this product is apparently not feasible, especially for a beginner. Everything I read about gluing down flooring suggests that it's a pain in the ass, and just not for beginners - which I certainly am. It pretty much only leaves me with floating - which according to the manufacturer and the people selling me the floor (big surprise, right?) is totally possible.

Here's the floor I'm considering: http://www.ifloor.com/item_439127/bambo ... l#infotabs

Is that a reputable brand? At some point I'm not sure it matters, since I think I'll pretty much screw up the warranty of any product by installing it myself, if I'm reading it right - which means that I really just need to do it right myself the first time.

Here are the installation instructions:

Quote:
Floating Floors: The floating floor method can be used for wood sub floor installations. Consider using Bruce Everseal Adhesive and carefully follow the instructions provided with the adhesive. Never use yellow carpenters glue. Floating 3/8" thick flooring is not recommended. See detailed instructions below.

The first step in laying a floating floor is to determine which direction in the room the flooring will be installed. Consider laying flooring parallel with long wall.
Since walls are often not straight and rooms are not square use care in putting down the first row of flooring. Use a chalk-line as a guide to ensure the first row is straight.
Saw door jambs to the proper height to accommodate new flooring by using a piece of flooring as a guide.
Floors expand and contract over time and with changing environmental conditions. For every 27' of flooring allow 1/16" expansion. For example: A 12' wide floor should have approximately 11/32" gap for expansion on each side.
Use blocks or wedges (to be removed later) to align the first row to the chalk line. It is very important that the first row is straight. It is not necessary to fasten the first row to the floor. Select straight boards for use in the first row.
Stagger joints so a random pattern is generated.
Lay out all of the boards for the first row end to end but do not glue. The groove must be facing the wall. Once you are satisfied with the fit of the first row re-install this row but this time glue the ends of each board. On the ends of the boards place a continuous bead of glue along the top of the tongue of the piece already laid and on the bottom of the groove on the piece of flooring to be laid. Excessive glue may hold boards apart. Immediately wipe off any excess glue that is squeezed from a joint. Use a pinch bar to tightly install the last piece in the first row.
Begin the second row using a partial piece to ensure that joints are staggered. Use the glue bead locations illustrated in Figure 2. Glue long and short edges of each board. Use a tapping block to put boards together. Gentle tapping works best. Never us a hammer directly on the edges or surfaces of your flooring. Immediately wipe off any excess glue that is squeezed from a joint.
Tape (designed for holding pre-finished floating floors) or straps may be used to secure floor as installation continues. Using the wrong tape will ruin your floor.
Continue the process until the last boards are installed. It may be necessary cut the last row of boards along its length so it will fit.

So, if I allow the proper gaps for expansion and such, shouldn't it be okay? Also, I'm told that the strandwoven expands / contracts MUCH differently from normal bamboo - because it's so much harder, so this is supposedly less of an issue.

Am I being totally swindled here, or is this product just a bit different due to its strandwoven nature?

Thanks so much for your help, I really do appreciate it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:22 pm 
Prized Contributor

Dude, ifloor sells an engineered stranded floor. Those instruction say NOT to install 3/8 floated. But then the half inch is allowed>>> :roll:

I would not advise a DIY to install a stranded bamboo glue down. You need straps and other assorted techniques for a successful install.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:30 pm 
Prized Contributor

The strand is 1/2" thick. They say dont float 3/8".

You couldnt pay me enough to float either thickness, in that product :shock: OR naildown.

I think the "Ming Dynasty" Bamboo phylosophy is ...Out the door see no more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:33 pm 
Prized Contributor

Those instructions kinda contradict themselves the whole way down the composition.

Sounds like general stuff, and not specific to the floor your trying to ruin.

Quote:
* Our bamboo flooring products are installed much like typical hardwood flooring using nails, staples or adhesive. 8)

* Choose a reputable, experienced and competent installer for the work. :idea:

* For every 27' of flooring allow 1/16" expansion. For example: A 12' wide floor should have approximately 11/32" gap for expansion on each side. Say what? :roll:

* Use blocks or wedges (to be removed later) to align the first row to the chalk line. It is very important that the first row is straight. It is not necessary to fasten the first row to the floor. Select straight boards for use in the first row. This is in the floating instruction!!! It should say DO NOT!!! :shock:

* These instructions are general in nature. Please consult your professional installer for more details and tips. and we professional installers, and a failure inspector are telling you you have better odds in Vegas :lol:

* Ming Dynasty is not responsible for and does not warranty the quality of the installer's work or the installation of the flooring.Ming Dynasty assumes no liability arising from improper installation, inappropriate installation location. :shock:

* Use a mechanical nailer adjusted for 5/8" thick flooring. Didn't you say this was 1/2" stuff??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:49 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Man, this sounds like trouble.

Just so I can be informed - what exactly is the concern here? I'm hearing a lot of "it's bad", but not a lot of exactly what will happen. Are you guys suggesting that this floor should be glued?

edit: Does anyone have any literature or something I can read about this? I'm wanting to more thoroughly inform myself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

Anogar wrote:
Man, this sounds like trouble.

Just so I can be informed - what exactly is the concern here? I'm hearing a lot of "it's bad", but not a lot of exactly what will happen. Are you guys suggesting that this floor should be glued?

edit: Does anyone have any literature or something I can read about this? I'm wanting to more thoroughly inform myself.

The 1st thing I said was gluedown only.

Naildown does not work on Strand. The product is too dense to consistently drive cleats or staples through without bending the fasteners or jamming the gun. The stuff is like rock !

Floating is a great installation method for materials designed to float. Solid plank is not a hardwood that is sucessfully floated, the t&g glue will not hold the floor together in the long term, or even short term. The planks will break loose from each other.

Floorguy is right about all the manufacturer contradictions on installation specs. In fact the most rediculous & scary installation specs I have seen in all my years. Bottom line is they are not going to guarantee any installation procedure on this wood.

Our first hand advice as professional installers, is more valuable than most literature you will run accross.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:46 pm 
Prized Contributor

In a previous post here in this thread... There is too much shrink and swell for it to all stayed glued together.

Your having nightmares about gluing it down, but it is not that bad. The hardest part is keeping adhesive off the finished surface. With just a little care and keeping aware that you got some glue on the surface, when you do, so you can wipe it up right then with mineral spirits on a rag and you will do just fine. Hard areas dry lay it before you glue it to get your cuts right. Use lots of 3M blue tape to hold everything tight as you go, so no gap happen.

I have yet to break out strap clamps on Teragren as a gluedown... but they are nice to have if you need them!!!

Floorguy wrote:

Good luck with that!

There is too much shrink and swell to stay together.

I too would like to know this manufacturer, that thinks it is losing market share, and markets something known to fail, to make a buck.