Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Give'r or am I hooped? Doug board and batten as flooring.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:32 pm 
New User

I’ve been lurking and poking through the posts and it looks like I’m planning on taking a difficult route.

So, I have a log cabin up in the hills just about an hour or two north of Whistler BC. We have an average Rh of around 60%-70% it greatly swings as weather systems move in. The cabin is 18-inch cedar logs, full basement is closed in and dry. The floor has ¾ Doug fir ply, glued and nailed over 2x12 joists 14 OC. It is heated by a woodstove only when we are on site. 25% of the year.

I have a stack of Doug Fir that was cut as board and batten 1in thick and varies in sizes 4in, 6in, 8in, 10in. Most are 4 and 10. It has been sitting covered and stickered for about 9 months. There is a little movement in the boards but the stack could be holding them flat. Do I dare surface and put them down like old square edge floorboards? Floor glue and nailing at each joist enough to hold them in place? The ply has been down for 10 years with no movement issues.

The time isn't an issue until I need to redo it.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Give'r or am I hooped? Doug board and batten as flooring.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:37 pm 
Prized Contributor

The planks ought to be a good finished floor if dressed. The glue and nailing will be enough to hold them down. Finish the best side with a thickness planer after you get them flat, then joint the edges. Vertical grain will be most stable and wear the best so use these in traffic areas like a doorway. I would use a block plane to ease the edges so there is less chance of a splinter whether you are sanding the floor or leaving it rough to sand later. You can also nail into the plywood to help keep the rows straight and flat when you lay the floor besides into the floor joists.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:21 pm 
New User

Thanks. I'm going to try doing a smaller area first and see how much effort will be needed. After checking a few boards the thickness varies greatly but they do still lay fairly flat. I'm pricing out new knives for the jointer and planer. From "the guy down the road" I'll be working them hard. Putting a chamfer on the edge I agree is almost a must. thanks for the best grain in the high-traffic areas. That was not something I was thinking and it should have been obvious. Experience is a great teacher.

Any thoughts on the amount of nailing? three nails across for the big board every couple of joists or hit every joist?

thanks for the advice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:20 am 
Prized Contributor

Every joist at least, nails across the butt-joints 2-4" apart depending on width.
Also a blind nail will help keep edges down as glue hardens up, one side will be available, after the first row in the middle of the room. Keep tract of your widths so you don't end up with a bunch of narrow planks measuring by lineal feet of each width.

Profile E-mail