Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can anyone help me identify the drum sander I just bought?
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:44 pm 
New User

I've been trying to buy a drum sander for flooring for a while now, so when one popped up for $400 on Marketplace yesterday I jumped despite not knowing what I was getting. After some cleaning it looks pretty damn good. It works, but the problem is I can't find any information on it. The only photos I can find that are similar to this model are stock photos on Shutterstock that were taken in Ukraine and Serbia.

I was able to find a Schematic on US Sander for it. Its made by a company called "Arpik United Co." No model identification though, just a hand drawn schematic and parts list. Looks like it was made in 1995 or 1996. - https://store.ussander.com/arpic_schematic

The guy who originally owned it told the guy I bought it from that it might be a clone of a more popular model. I'd love to know what that model is.

The motor is a 1995 Leeson 120341 3HP motor. 230v, 13 amps. Not sure if its original. Same with the Allen Bradley Switch.

My questions are-

1. What is the beige plastic piece with two holes on top of the handle bars?

2.Is the curly cue thing on the back a cable support?

3.The belt configuration looks wrong to me. One belt is supposed to go over the smaller wheels, correct? If so, why are there two belt grooves on the drum pulley? Is it an either-or configuration and if so why would I want to change it?

4. I believe I should be safe plugging this into a 240v/30amp dryer receptacle, right? Running less than 100ft. of extension. The only concern I have is that the motor says 230 volts/13 amps, but the plug itself says 250v/20 amps. I'm assuming that just means the NEMA L5-20P plug can handle that load and not that it puts out that load.

5. The end of the dust port is flared, which I know is common, but what methods would you use to attach a dust collection system to the flared port?

6. Is the black twist cap on the back right a tensioner for the level to raise/lower the drum?
I can't seem to embed the photos here, but if you'd like to see them all check out my Drive link- https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Z-X0XMfCKi0fgHnSeY7aVxRcvA8Xn_33?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Can anyone help me identify the drum sander I just bought?
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:07 pm 
Prized Contributor

Nice sander
The two grooves are for a double matched set of V-belts. The fan belt usually has an idler pulley and does not transmit much power to run the fan for collecting dust.
The black knob is for adjusting the drum pressure that has a spring, tighten for first cuts and loosen for final cut. It's not that important.
The dust port goes to the fan, which blows the dust into the bag.
The drum can be recovered at US Sander, NY, I think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 10:51 pm 
New User

Pete, thank you, that is easily the most information I've been received. It feels like it would be good a great sander, time will tell if I scored.

I'm going to do a bit more research on the dual belts. I'm assuming the dual belts mean more power to the drum, while sacrificing the blower? If that's correct I'd be running on a vacuum and cyclone setup anyways, so maybe that's something I would try. I think I'm going to have to create and 3D print an adapter for the flared dust port to fit a standard 2 1/2 hose connection unless something already exists.

The only other thing I can't seem to figure out is what the beige plastic piece at the top is with the two holes in it.

Again, thank you. Haven't had much luck in finding forums or information on the topic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:26 am 
Prized Contributor

The beige plastic may be for a hold back belt. Have you ever used a drum sander?
Too bad it didn't come with a belt cover. This is a problem.
The fan is missing a long drive belt. I runs off the large pulley, no?
One of the pulleys is an idler to adjust tension for the fan belt.
So you will not use a sanding dust bag? just cut the flare for the bag off..

Profile E-mail