Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Aug 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Application question - Bona Water-based Sanding Sealer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:35 pm 
New User

Hi there,

We're about to apply Bona Sanding Sealer and Mega to our unfinished wood floors (new construction). I'm doing the area behind the kneewalls to start, so that will be good practice.

Two questions:
What is the best applicator for the Sanding Sealer (can't tell from their site)? I got a lambswool applicator pad and was going to use that.

ALSO, the instructions say to pour a line of the sealer across the floor planks. Well, we've got a rustic look and the bottom of our floor is the ceiling for the living room. There are some gaps between the planks (they were laid last year--yeah, we're slow:).
Can I just pour it into the planks, or use a tray and soak the applicator? I can't have it dripping through the floor to the room below!

Thanks!!
Karen

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Application question - Bona Water-based Sanding Sealer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:46 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

The finish can find it's way between those boards. So I would lay down plastic drop cloths on the floors below. You will find that a Padco painting pad will be easier to handle. You can use it to cut in as well as apply the finish. Google Padco. They have instructions on their site on using their pads to finish floors.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:02 am 
Prized Contributor

I have some concerns that just putting drop cloths down on the floor below wont be enough protection. While it WILL protect the floor itself, what about the ceiling above. Would droplets or runs be visible? I think so, in the case of a wood ceiling so some plan must be made to prevent these.
What about using tape along the joints to prevent the finish from flowing down and along the boards on the underside.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:19 am 
New User

Thanks for the input.

What I did was NOT pour the Bona onto the floor, but used an application pad and a paint tray. It seemed to work out fine, and I've not seen any drips on the ceiling below. I was only doing behind the knee walls (and it was Sunday, so I couldn't call Bona). Now that it is not the weekend, I'll call them about the rest of the floor. We have some time before we have to start that.

Thanks also for the tip about padco applicators.

Karen

Profile E-mail